Wednesday 16 December 2015

The Water Nymphs


The Water Nymphs

Down beside the woodland pool, whose waters flow so clear and cool,
I took a stroll, one summer’s day, and saw the water nymphs at play.
I stopped a while, to rest and dream, along the playful little stream,
And beauty drew my eyes to where, they laughed and splashed without a care.

I dared not breathe, - my chest was tight. I crept a little closer to this unexpected sight.
In joyful sport, they flicked their tails, as sunbeams caught their rainbow scales.
My shadow fell upon the water, and these tiny mermaids turned and fled.
Then they chased the little silver bream, along the shallow sunlit, river bed.

Undeterred, I hid among the soft, green ferns, and waited patiently for their return.
The moon had gifted silver light, when they came back to settle for the night.
Beneath a moss-strewn, rocky weir, they sat and combed their sea-green hair.
I slipped into a restful dream, and wandered in a mystic world that few have ever seen.

Patrick W Kavanagh    16/12/2015

Art by Bill Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment