Sunday 6 December 2015

Down among the Lavenders
Down among the Lavenders, I watched the little people play,
As I was sitting in the garden, one delightful, summer's day.
Dragonflies were flitting by, beneath a dreamy, pale blue sky,
My eyes were filled with beauty, and my heart was filled with joy.
I never noticed how the time flew by, until the evening came,
And I was woken from my reverie by gentle summer rain.
Silver beads were trickling down the dull green leaves below the violet sprays,
And still, the little people danced and played in summer's evening haze.
How I wish, that I could have sat forever in such charming company,
The rich warm smell of rain-kissed lavender, brings back such memories.
This tale has been my secret treasure,- this past fifty years and more,
I tell it now,- for who will mock me, as I pass through summer's open door.
Build for me a little bower, so I may spend eternity beneath the Rowan tree.
For in that lovely place, so filled with natures grace, I'll find delightful company.
Those who mourn, will earn naught but my scorn, for I will soon be free
to play among the lavenders, beside the blessed Rowan tree.
Patrick W Kavanagh 11/02/2015
Art by: Bill Oliver  boysoblue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment